For those of you who loved my Beef Biltong Salad recipe so much (See Jan 8 2016 post: Restaurant Review #5: Mi Casa: The Stand out Salads of Summer), here is another “beefed up” salad to get the guys and the kids queuing up for more.
This recipe is a culture clash between the Greeks and the Vietnamese that all works out very deliciously in the end. Take a traditional Greek salad, minus the olives and feta and add some rare, thinly sliced steak strips marinated in garlic, onion, chilli and a lime, sweet chilli & fish sauce dressing that really packs a punch. The family won’t even realize that you’ve left the carbs off the plate!
I got the original recipe from yes, Taste.com.au, and adjusted it for ingredient availability and of course, to my personal taste. But if you would prefer it straight from the horse’s mouth, you can get it from http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/14995/warm+chilli+beef+salad
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 red onion (half finely chopped and the other half sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 red chilli (deseeded and finely chopped)
- 500g thick rump steak
- olive oil
- Cos lettuce (or any other crunchy lettuce)
- 200g plum tomatoes (or sweet, firm cherry tomatoes if you can get hold of them)
- ½ cucumber (roughly cut into chunks)
- 1/8 cup mint leaves (finely chopped) – original recipe says 1 cup, but I found that too overpowering
- Salt & pepper
- 2 TBSP fish sauce
- 2 ½ tsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 lime (juiced)
- Combine the chopped onion, garlic & chilli in a flat dish
- Rub a small amount of olive oil onto all sides of the steak and evenly coat in the onion, garlic & chilli mixture
- Refrigerate the steak in the flat dish, covered for 30 min minimum
- After 30 min, preheat the griddle pan to medium high and cover the steak with a bit more olive oil if necessary, season with salt & pepper & sear on both sides for 1 or 2 minutes depending on the thickness OR until medium rare
- Remove steak from griddle pan and allow to rest for 5 minutes (you may have to remove any burnt garlic/ chilli/ onion from the steak at this point)
- To make the dressing, whisk up the fish sauce, sweet chilli sauce and 2 TBSP lime juice in a bowl. Taste test here to see if you need more lime or sweet chilli sauce.
- Thinly slice the rump steak and set aside
- Dish up your bowls with the mixed lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber & onions, then steak slices, a sprinkling of mint (more or less depending on how much you like mint) and cover with the dressing (make sure the steak slices specifically absorb some of that juiciness)
- Serve & Enjoy!
But WAIT! There’s more! Keep your eyes peeled for two more of my Sensational Seasonal Summer Salad recipes coming very soon.