I can’t believe that summer is almost over. Although, does the summer ever really end in Durban? I know I’m getting death stares and profanities directed at me by everyone living in sun-challenged countries right now, but believe it or not, even in Durban we do still get our own version of winter, and the craving for salads does eventually end, suddenly being replaced by a yearning for soups and stews and hearty carbohydrate-rich dishes.
But before that time comes, I have 4 more salad recipes that I’d like to share with everyone so we can start winter off with great bods, and not feel guilty when the hot chocolate and cheesy potato bakes come out.
My first dish was inspired by Woolworths Taste, the Summer Cookbook. It’s such a great little source of recipes which are quick & easy, but still unique and tasty.
Woolworths suggests pairing this salad with tuna carpaccio, which I totally agree with, but on that particular day, we had Chinese dumplings that needed an accompaniment, and they worked out just as well. This cool, refreshing, sweet & sour fruit salad is just what your mouth needs after biting into a hot, rich, crispy fried wonton.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 4 cold, ripe but still firm mangoes (peeled & cut into 1cm wide strips)
- 2 TBSP soy sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 4 TBPS rice wine vinegar
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 2 cold, ripe but still firm avocadoes (cut into wedges)
- 2 granadillas (halved)
- handful of chopped chives
- Place mango slices in a bowl
- Combine mango with the soy sauce, fish sauce, vinegar & lemon juice and gently toss without breaking up the mango slices
- Arrange your avo wedges onto 4 plates, and top with the soaked mango slices
- Spoon the granadilla pulp onto the salads
- Garnish with chives
- Serve & enjoy!